* * * * *
Timothy, the creator / artistic director / polymath / hero / greatest master / spiritual leader of the ‘Timothy and the Things’ Company was born in 4367 BC, somewhere in South Africa. He died while trying to fly but falling off a high rock in 4323 BC. He was reborn several times after then, last time – as we know – in the ’80’s, but he disappeared again in 2010, soon after that we met him and he gave us his vast and secret knowledge and created this company. Since then, we – his followers – have never seen or met him again, but because we can still feel his strong spiritual and mental presence in the world, we believe that he might still be alive somewhere. It was an honor to know him, but we haven’t lost all the hope yet – we’re not going to give up on searching and finding him again.
* * * * *
I am László Fülöp, the first follower and best buddy of Tim, co-founder of this unofficial company (based in Budapest, Hungary) – By the way, I’m also a young contemporary dance choreographer and performer, member of the L1 Association of Independent Artists in Hungary. I was born in 1987 in Budapest, and as child of musician parents I had a strong music education from the beginning. Later my interest started to turn more and more towards dance and theater. I went to the Budapest Contemporary Dance Academy and finished my studies in 2010. Since then, I’ve been cooperating with many different artists and dance companies as a freelancer (from 2012 on, I’ve been working mainly with the Danish Granhoj Dans Company), and in the meantime, I’ve also created several new shows as an independent choreographer too. In 2016 I’ve got Viktor Fülöp Scholarship.
The core topic of my interest lies in exploring and analyzing all forms of human social behavior and communication issues. I study these from all their possible aspects and in their own completeness, without general conclusions and prejudices: in a simple, pure and personal way. The relationship between psychology and dance has always been particularly interesting to me. I find it extremely important to let people see and understand those inner processes which – though unconsciously – influence and guide their acts and decisions. I focus on the performers’ personalities and try to avoid any generalizations, spectacular elements and classical dance aesthetics, which may divert the attention from the analyzed phenomenon, or simplify it too much. I believe that art’s true aim is not only entertainment or the grasping of something otherwise elusive, but also education without stakes, nurture, which is mutual and honest.
- Our creative works in chronological order:
- “whatsupwithyou?!nothing?!” (2010) // a piece about sharing collective loneliness
- “emese&emil” (2011) // in connection to Eric Berne’s transaction analysis and game theory
- “what does ‘iloveyou’ mean?” (2011) // co-creation with Anna Biczók, made for the Research into the Unknown Festival
- “there’s an elephant in every room…” (2014) // received Rudolf Lábán Prize in 2015 // to what degree we can objectively talk about self-determination and free will?
- “Hysterology” (2014) // a theater play about hysteria in collaboration with the German bigNotWendigkeit Company and Anna Biczók
- “you can never know before it’s over…” (2014-15) // an installation, co-created with Georgia Voudouri, part of Identity.Move! a European artistic research program
- “your mother at my door” (2015) // dance piece, co-creation with Emese Cuhorka, got nominated for Rudolf Laban Prize in 2016
- “PLAN B” (2016) // theater play, co-creation with Halka Třešňáková, coproduced by MOTUS / Alfred ve Dvore Theater
- Waiting for Schrödinger (2016) // our newest dance creation with 6 dancers, coproduced by SÍN Production and Trafó, got nominated for Lábán Rudolf Award in 2017
What’s next? // See you there!
- 14th/May/2017 – YOUR MOTHER AT MY DOOR in Szeged
- 24th/June/2017 – Nominative / Accusative Cases – site specific performance on the Night of the Museums, at Kunsthalle Budapest.
- 7th/July/2017 – Waiting for Schrödinger at BE Festival, in Birmingham
- 20th/July/2017 – YOUR MOTHER AT MY DOOR in Svetvinčenat, Croatia
- 12th/August/2017 – Waiting for Schrödinger at Sziget Festival, in Budapest
- 3rd/September/2017 – YOUR MOTHER AT MY DOOR in Luxemburg
- 15-16th/September/2017 – YOUR MOTHER AT MY DOOR at DanseHus in Oslo
- 21st/October/2017 – Plan B at KammerMachen in Chemnitz, Germany
- 2nd/November/2017 – YOUR MOTHER AT MY DOOR at RomaEurope Festival in Rome
- 17th/November/2017 – YOUR MOTHER AT MY DOOR in Lublin, Poland